Sony AS vs. Canon EOS 5D Mark III – Sony A7s (s for sensitivity) vs Canon 5D Mark III, however the 5D Mk II tech is now approx 2 years old, let’s us see who wins in the specification comparison review..
Sony Alpha 7S Major Features
- 12.2MP Full-Frame Exmor CMOS Sensor
- BIONZ X Image Processor
- Gapless On-Chip Lens Design
- 3.0″ 921.6k-Dot Tilting LCD Monitor
- XGA 2.36M-Dot OLED Electronic Viewfinder
- 4K and Full HD Video Recording in XAVC S
- Full Pixel Read-Out, S-Log2 Gamma
- Expandable Sensitivity: ISO 50-409600
- Fast Intelligent 25-Point AF System
- Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity with NFC
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Major Features
- 22.3MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- Includes Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L Lens
- 3.2″ Clear View High Resolution LCD
- DIGIC 5+ Image Processor
- 61-Point High Density AF
- Full HD 1080/30p and 720/60p Formats
- Built-In HDR and Multiple Exposure Modes
- Extended ISO Range (50-102400)
- Dual CF and SD Memory Card Slots
- Durable Magnesium-Alloy Construction
Sony Alpha 7S vs. Canon EOS 5D Mark III Specification Comparison Table.
Megapixel and Sensor Size: The Canon EOS 5D Mark III features low resolution than Sony Alpha 7S, but due to the larger pixels can collect more light. Furthermore, the photodiode design of the A7s has been revised for 100% output.
But 5D Mark III has more resolution compared to Sony A7s, so you will get large printouts and you can also re-compose /crop your images after shooting.
AF System: Sony A7s features contrast based AF system with 25 number of total AF points, the Canon EOS 5D Mark III comes with Hybrid AF system (Phase + Contrast) with 61 AF points, the 5D Mk II AF system will do do fast and accurate AF since the phase AF system quickly acquire the subject into focus and finally the contrast based system fine-tune the sharpness for ensured accuracy.
Better low light performance – The Sony A7s Standard ISO range is 100 – 102400 and expandable ISO range is 50-409600, but Canon EOS 5D Mark III standard ISO range is 100-25600 and expandable ISO range 50-102400., the Sony Alpha 7R features more ISO range ( standard + expandable ) hence you get better low-light images at HIGH ISO range.
Top Continuous shooting speed: Canon EOS 5D Mark III features fast shooting speed compared to Sony Alpha 7S.
Better video mode: Sony Alpha 7S can capture 4K video at QFHD (3840 x 2160) to a external recorder + Sony A7s also has a option to record full HD (1920 x 1080) at 60p, 60i, 30p, and 24p
Supported formats addition to the conventional AVCHD and MP4 formats
Other Video Feature of Sony A7S
- external recorder via HDMI connection
- APS-C crop mode
- HD 720p video can be recorded at 120 fps for a 5x slow-motion effect
- high-quality XAVC S format
- a7S incorporates S-Log2 gamma
- expand the effective dynamic range by 1300% to increase detail in both shadows and highlights
- full HD and 4K base band HDMI output
- XLR Adapter Microphone
Video mode: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Full HD 1080 @ 30 fps, 25 fps and 24 fps. HD 720 @ 60 fps, 50 fps
Supported formats supported as well as the standard H.264/MPEG -4 AVC codec.
Other Video Feature of Canon EOS 5D Mark III
- It offers both All-I and IPB compression
- Automatically splits files greater than 4GB (FAT specifications) for extended recording without interruption.
- multi-camera shoots
- improved sound recording adjustment capabilities, offering 64-step volume control accessible through the Quick Control screen during video shooting, plus a dedicated headphone jack for convenience in shooting
- CMOS sensor’s new drive system significantly increases image processor performance
- Reducing color artifacts and moiré.
Display: Sony Alpha 7S features bigger and high resolution display compared to Canon EOS 5D Mark III.
Or Sony Alpha 7S features Touch screen display on the other hand Canon EOS 5D Mark III have fixed display, so we get more flexibility while composing our shot with Sony Alpha 7S.
Viewfinder: Canon EOS 5D Mark III features pentaprism viewfinder on the other hand Sony Alpha 7S only EVF,
Battery Life (CIPA): Canon EOS 5D Mark III battery rating is 950 shots and other hand Sony Alpha 7S 360 shots. According to CIPA.
Dimensions: Sony Alpha 7S Mark II is smaller than Canon EOS 5D Mark III.
Weight: Sony Alpha 7S lighter than Canon EOS 5D Mark III.
High ISO Test Between Sony A7s vs. Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Verdict: Sony A7s comes with a excellent low-light sensor and 4K video recording, on the other hand 5D Mk II feature advance AF system and a huge collection of high quality Canon L series lenses to choose from… If you are a still shooter or a videographer we recommend you to go with Sony A7s, for sports shooter we recommend you to buy 5D Mark III.
Buy Sony A7s from Amazon || Buy Canon EOS 5D Mark III from Amazon