- The main goal in the consumer market is to “Strengthen “camera brand” and maintain a high level of profitability centered on Interchangeable Lens Camera (ILC)“. As you can see from the slide above the focus is on higher resolution, sensivity and speed cameras. And of course expanding the “a-mount system”. But be aware that for Sony “a-mount” means Alpha-mount which is both A and E-mount (weird marketing!)
- The full 2016 year forecast for the whole Imaging Segment has been revised down. Sales are down from to 530 bln YEN (previous estimation was 630 bln YEN). While operating income is down to 16bln yen (previous estimation was 61 bln YEN). To put in into numbers. The earthquake did cost 100bln YEN (16% off the overall sales).
- Sony predicts that during fiscal year 2017 sales will be 630-680 bln YEN and operating income around 8-10% of the sales.
- Sony predicts camera sales in 2016 to be comparable to the 2015 sales
- Sony predicts lens sales to growth this year compared to 2015.
- Sony owns 14% of the camera market and is currently number one in the mirrorless and premium fixed lens market.
Sony’s top position in the camera market is fair from every way, since it has no competitor around its highly popular A7 series means the users have no other choice about full frame mirrorless camera except Sony. However, Hasselblad x1D could be the choice, but at last it is also medium format sensor camera.